One Choice


As 2014 began I knew that it was time for me to get more focused on my writing and on different aspects of ministry.  In the past, I wrote a devotional I called the Live Free Devotional. The premise of that devotional blog started with the book I had written about living free from fear. That is still an issue close to my heart, but recently as I would go back to that blog I always felt that there was something new I needed to focus on. Over the last few weeks, I believe I have discovered that I need to focus on the choices we make.

          Most people start out the year reflecting on the past year and where they were, where they are now, and where they want to be this time next year. I do that a little bit at the beginning of every new year, but I have a time that causes me to reflect even more. This past week was the 18th anniversary of when my mother passed away and every year that anniversary causes me to reflect on my life. This year I realized I am only about 8 years younger than my mother was when she passed away from a heart attack that was brought on from not dealing with diabetes. It always makes me stop and think about my life and where I am and what I am doing. It makes me come face to face with the decisions I have made and if I am doing everything I can to be the woman that God wants me to be. This is not a mournful time for me. When my mom was alive, even though it was not as long as it should have been, she craved heaven. My aunt told me a few years ago that my mom was always fascinated with heaven and looked forward to going there. I also know that my mom’s time on earth was spent loving people and when she was gone that is how she has been remembered and I love that!

          It does make me stop and think though about my health, my goals, and my family. Am I doing everything that I can do to be the best me that God wants me to be? I have to admit that health wise there are things I could do better. Ministry wise there are things I could do better. Even in my love walk, there are things I can do better. There are times I stop and look at where I am and think- how did I get here? I think this is something we all face at one time or another.

          As I have been praying and seeking God, I realized that it is our choices that put us where we are today. Our lives are made up of choices and each individual choice makes us who we are. There are times in our lives where we look around and wonder how did I get here? How did I get in so much debt, how did I gain this extra 70 pounds, why is my marriage falling apart? None of these things happened overnight. Every single one takes time and they happen because of decisions we make. Sometimes we make a choice without even realizing we made a choice because it is a habit. The problem is that each choice is like taking a step on a path that will end up taking you to a destination, whether it is the one you planned to arrive at or not.

          I don’t know how many times in my life I have reached for a can of soda or a snack because I was bored and wanted something and didn’t stop at all to think of the consequences it would have on my body. I mean it is just one soda. How many times have I gone to the store and spent $5 or $10 on something not realized that each purchase adds up? How many times have I been busy with something and not stopped to enjoy the moment with my family that God has given me?

          Deuteronomy 30:15 says, “Now listen! Today I am giving you a choice between life and death, between prosperity and disaster.” Every day God allows us to make choices and every day we get to reap the consequences of the choices we make. God’s desire is for us to choose the path that leads to life and prosperity (having everything we need when we need it). He will not make the decisions for us; we have to make them ourselves. In verse 20 of this same chapter it says, “You can make this choice by loving the Lord your God, obeying him, and committing yourself firmly to Him. This is the key to your life…”

          So with this devotional blog, I want us to focus on things that are going to help strengthen us to make better choices. I want us to think about what God said in Deuteronomy 30:20 and find ways we can love God, obey God, and commit ourselves firmly to Him.

          I pray that you will become more aware of the choices you make- each individual choice- so that you can have the life that God wants for you.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lovely

What is Truth?