His Love


            Last week I talked about how we can't make ourselves worthy by what we do, but we are made worthy through Christ and what he did. I think one reason we don't feel worthy is because we do not see our own worth. We do not see the value that God puts on us. It is so easy to try and get our value from people around us, but that is definitely not a safe place to get it. From the time I was in elementary school, I have always fought insecurity. Starting in about third grade, I thought maybe I had a sign on my head that said "pick on me, I am worthless", because well, so many people did. Looking back now, I realize that part of it was just kids being kids, hurting people hurt people, and sometimes it was just thoughtless words people would say. At school, I had a teacher who would humiliate me in front of my class to the point I was physically ill; it seemed like the kids thought I was an easy target after that. I don’t think most of the kids realized how bad their words hurt me, and if you asked them now they would probably not even remember most of what they said. By the time I was in 8th grade, I hated life and thought that I was the ugliest most worthless person there was. I was so insecure that I just wanted someone to notice me and think I was valuable. My parents were great and they always encouraged me, but I just thought that they had to love me because I was their child. Even as an adult, I have had to fight feelings of insecurity and worthlessness, but fortunately I have learned by now that when I feel that way and battle those thoughts I need to remind myself that I am valuable to the one who matters most.
         I know that so many of us fight the feelings of unworthiness and do not feel loved, but we need to realize that God, the creator of the universe, the one who formed us in our mothers’ womb, totally and completely loves us and sees how truly valuable we are! In order to be free from our self-doubt and insecurities, we need to be free to receive God’s love. Sometimes our problem may not even be what others say about or to us, but how we compare ourselves to other people.  We compare ourselves to others and when we don’t measure up to the image that we hold of them, we think we are less valuable and therefore not worthy of love.
         The amazing reality is that God loves us completely, even though He is totally aware of our weaknesses, failures, and fears. He absolutely and totally loves us. Your parents might not have seemed to love you enough. Your spouse may not have even loved you enough, but no matter how many people have failed you or made you feel unworthy, God still loves you with His unconditional everlasting love.
         In Isaiah 41:9-10 God says, “You are my servant. For I have chosen you and will not throw you away. Don’t be afraid, for I am with you. Don’t be discouraged, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you. I will hold you up in my victorious right hand.” Ephesians 1:4 also says that even before God made the world he loved us and chose us in Christ to be holy and without fault in His eyes. Such good news! If you have accepted Christ, God has chosen to see you as holy and without fault. Even with your flaws- God loves you. Even with your scars- God loves you. Even in the midst of the worst circumstances- God loves you.
         You can’t earn His love- He already loves you no matter what. Ephesians 2:4 says that God is so rich in mercy and He loved us so much that even though we were dead because of our sins, He gave us life when He raised Christ Jesus from the dead. God loved you even before you accepted Him. God loves you so much that He delights in you.  Zephaniah 3:17 says, “For the Lord your God is living among you. He is a mighty savior. He will take delight in you with gladness. With His love, He will calm all your fears. He will rejoice over you with joyful songs.”
        No matter who you are, what you are going through, what you have done, or even what you will do- God loves you dearly. If you want to live a truly free life, you must acknowledge and accept that love. It is a love so strong that He sent His precious Son to a cross to die for you. While you were yet a sinner Christ died for you. God did not wait until you had perfect behavior, until you were free from your fears, until people thought you were worthy. God sent Jesus before you could do anything to be made right with Him. Why? Because He wanted you to know it is by grace you are saved not by your works. He wanted you to know He loved you first. He wanted you to know that He adores you and loves you with an everlasting love that you could never deserve so that you can live a life that is free from fear, insecurity, and condemnation. Make a choice to accept that love today.

Comments

  1. I enjoyed reading this one. It's something I've always struggled with. Thanks for your words of encouragement.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lovely

What is Truth?

Worthy