Planks and specks


A few years ago my husband and I were going through training to plant a church, and as part of the training we had to do a spiritual gifting/personality test. I do not remember exactly what my score was on that particular test, but I do remember that in the description of my trait it said I could have a tendency to be critical of other people’s plans or ideas. This was really a shocker to me. I tend to think of myself as a sweet, kind, and non- judgmental person, so when I read that I told my husband I thought the test was way off because I didn’t think that described me at all.  I told him that I do not believe I criticize others plans or ideas. I said I don’t even have trouble following another person’s plans as long as it is not a stupid plan that is destined to fail. He immediately began laughing at me, and not just a little, and I immediately did not see the humor.

                He told me that what I said proved the point of the test and that I was sometimes critical. I didn’t concede my position right away because seriously who wants to follow a stupid idea? I didn’t think it made me critical, just smart. As I am further removed from the situation I see that I could (possibly maybe) be a bit critical at times.

            Today I was reading Matthew 7:1-5; it says "Do not judge and criticize and condemn others, so that you may not be judged and criticized and condemned yourselves. For just as you judge and criticize and condemn others, you will be judged and criticized and condemned, and in accordance with the measure you [use to] deal out to others, it will be dealt out again to you. Why do you stare from without at the very small particle that is in your brother’s eye but do not become aware of and consider the beam of timber that is in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, Let me get the tiny particle out of your eye, when there is the beam of timber in your own eye? You hypocrite, first get the beam of timber out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the tiny particle out of your brother’s eye.” (AMP). 

            Why does it seem so much easier to see a speck in someone else’s eye rather than the plank that is in our own? Verse 5 said that we should first get the plank out of our own eye so that we can see clearly to help the other person get the speck out of their eye.

            How many times do you find yourself praying, maybe even begging, God to fix someone else, maybe a spouse, coworker, or roommate so that you can be happy? Reading these verses in Matthew reminds me that if I am constantly looking at everyone else’s faults and not seeing my own, then I am a hypocrite.

            It helped me realize that before we dare ask God to fix someone else, we should be diligent to ask God to fix us. In Psalm 139:23-24 we read, “Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts.  Point out anything in me that offends you, and lead me along the path of everlasting life.”(NLT). We need to be brave enough and sincere enough to make this a daily prayer. Ask God to search your heart and your thoughts and ask Him to point out anything that you need to change. When you do this, you will be able to hear from God and continue along the path of everlasting life. When you don’t let God search you, and you continue to judge, criticize, and condemn others it says you will reap the judgment, criticism, and condemnation on yourself.

            When you catch yourself judging or criticizing someone, stop and think about the consequence of what you are doing. Do you want to bring that right back upon yourself? As soon as you feel the critical attitude seeping in, immediately stop and pray Psalm 139:23-24. Ask God to help you see where you have a plank and ask Him to remove that plank, but also ask God to help you love others in a way that if/when it becomes time to help them see the speck in their eye, they can feel God’s love through you as you help them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lovely

What is Truth?

Worthy