True Worship


          Have you ever noticed that everyone thinks their way is the right way? We have a tendency to think because it is the way we like it or are used to it, it is the best or only way. When I had kids, I started turning my silverware tray upside down of how most people have it. I put it this way so that the little tray that is usually at the back of the drawer is at the front, because that is where I put the kids’ little spoons and forks and it was easier for them to reach. One time I had company, and I went to get something out of my drawer and noticed that someone turned the silverware tray back the direction “it was supposed to be”. I turned it back the way I liked it in my kitchen, and sure enough later I went back and someone had changed it again. This person really couldn’t handle the fact that I had my silverware tray the “wrong” way. After a few times of slamming the drawer closed in my passive aggressive style- trying to make sure people knew I wasn’t happy but not confronting the issue I think I left it for the rest of the time company was there and proceeded to change it back when they left.
          This reminds me of how so many people are in church. In our lives, we form our ideas of what is the best way to have church based on our own personal experiences. Some things we like and some things we don’t like and a perfect, godly church does it the way we want it to. Some churches do communion every week, some churches have altars at the front that you can go kneel and pray, some churches have loud praise and worship with lights and smoke and some have quiet singing with hymn books. And the funny thing is, we all have our preference and assume because it is our preference it is God’s preference as well. I see this especially when it comes to worship or our song services. Recently I have seen several articles on Facebook telling why Hymns are more spiritual and the way a church should sing, or why it is imperative that you have smoke and lights and the coolest sound system there is. I read these articles and end up frustrated with churches. Really, is this what Church is about? Is this what worship is about? Which songs are more spiritual and which ones God thinks are best?
          This issue has been close to me in recent years. I grew up in a traditional church singing hymns, so I know those and there are some that I love to sing. Then as I became an adult, I switched to a cutting edge very modern mega church with all the best of everything including music. Now in the last few years we have been in churches that are more traditional again. I have to admit I have really struggled coming back to the hymns with only a piano because my favorite way to worship is with the lights down a little lower where the singers on stage are just loud enough no one can hear me personally (which I promise is a very good thing) and I am able to be worshipping corporately in a group but still feel that it is a very intimate experience with me and my God. Where I can pray while we are singing and no one will notice, where I can cry if I need to and no one will notice, where I can just be me with my God while others are also worshiping around me. That is my preference. In my mind, this was the “best” way to worship. I struggled with this a lot because I would go to church on Sundays and sing the hymns and leave thinking I hadn’t really worshiped God because it wasn’t the way I prefer to worship.  I thought in order to worship we needed to be singing different songs and I thought my church needed to change even though most of the people in our church and who we reach prefer the Hymns, I thought for us to be effective it needed to be my way.
          One day last year, I had a reality check. As I was speaking at a ladies event, we had a time of worship. The ladies at this event were from a little more traditional church and did still use a lot of hymns in their services. It is what they know and love. During this time we all sat in our seats and they would sing the songs acapella. It was the hymns that we sing in my church every Sunday but this morning as we sang it was so amazingly worshipful. The ladies closed their eyes and sang the songs from their hearts and I was very aware that I was worshiping my God. I realized it wasn’t only the songs we sang that helped me feel closer to God, it was the attitude of worship and love that the songs came from.
          I realized, sitting in that worship time, that it isn’t so much what songs we sing or what style of music we use- it is the attitude we have towards God when we worship. To determine if a worship service is a good one, you have to look at the sincerity of worship over the method or ability of the worshiper. When we argue over worship styles and how the church should be, it reminds me of a passage in Matthew 15 that says, ‘These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me. Their worship is a farce, for they teach man-made ideas as commands from God.” We have to be careful not to teach our preferences as doctrine. Is it ok for you to do the style of worship you prefer in your church? Yes. Is it ok for you to tell everyone else that they must do the style of music you prefer in their church? No. Each church is called to reach certain people. If there were only one church and one style of church, then there are many people who would not be saved because the gospel would not be presented in such a way that it would appeal and be understandable to them.
          David was an amazing example of a worshiper. Over and over in the Psalms, we see him talk about worship. Psalm 48:9 says that we meditate on your unfailing love as we worship in the temple. Psalm 95:6 says let us worship and bow down before the Lord our maker. Psalm 100:2 says to Worship the Lord with gladness and sing before Him with joy. Each of these verses shows a different style of worship that overflowed from a heart of love. True worship isn’t based on outward styles, but should be an expression of love to God that starts internally and overflows externally.
          God isn’t as concerned about our style of worship, as He is our attitude while we worship. We think of worship and we try and limit it to church on Sunday mornings, when we have our worship services- but worship isn’t about a Sunday morning service. Romans 12:1-2 says, “And so, dear brothers and sisters, I plead with you to give your bodies to God because of all he has done for you. Let them be a living and holy sacrifice—the kind he will find acceptable. This is truly the way to worship him. Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.” To truly worship God, we need to take our focus off of the Sunday morning worship and live a life of worship. We need to live our lives Monday through Sunday for God. If you live your life with no regard for God all week, but then come in on Sunday mornings and sing the hymns or raise your hands in worship to God, you are living like an idolator. You are like the people we read about in Matthew 15 who worship with their lips but their hearts are far from God. If you are living your day to day life following the customs of this world and not offering yourself to God as a living and holy sacrifice your worship is not acceptable, no matter what style of worship you choose.
          I challenge you as you go to church each week, don’t just go into the worship time lightly as a tradition. Don’t just do it because it is the right thing to do and you want to look holy. Think of it as your time to express love and adoration to the God who has given you so much.  Meditate on His unfailing love as you worship in His temple, when needed bow down before Him as the Lord of your life, Worship Him with gladness and sing for joy to Him. Let your worship be an outward expression that overflows from your inward love.

         

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lovely

What is Truth?

Worthy