So many days life seems absolutely overwhelming. We often think after our current season of life it will get easier. Whether it is raising babies, stressful jobs, money issues, worries about health and COVID, or maybe it is all of them at once- life can feel overwhelming. When we think of being overwhelmed we often think of it in a negative way. We equate being overwhelmed with feeling like everything is too much to handle. I find myself here more often than I would like to admit.

But in Isaiah 61:10 we see being overwhelmed in a different light. Isaiah says, “I am overwhelmed with joy in the Lord my God!” The verse goes on to use imagery from a wedding to describe this feeling of overwhelming joy. When I go to a wedding I always love when the bride comes in, but I have a tendency to look at the groom while most everyone else is looking at the bride. One of my favorite parts of a wedding is to see the groom's reaction when he sees his beloved coming down the aisle. I love watching when he gets the big smile across his face as he catches a glimpse, but I must admit, he gets brownie points from me if he tears up. When he is so overwhelmed with the emotions of love and joy that it actually brings tears to his eyes. I believe that is the kind of overwhelmedness that our verse is talking about today.

So how can we be overwhelmed with joy in the Lord our God? The next line says that we are clothed with salvation. I think it is good for us to remind ourselves of what we are saved from. It is easy to take our salvation for granted. To think only temporally and not eternally.

Earlier in Isaiah 51 we read about how Jesus was despised, rejected, beaten, pierced, and crushed for us. I think it is good for us to take time to really think about what Jesus went through so that he could be our salvation. If we really ponder what Jesus did, I think it helps us to be overwhelmed with thanksgiving and joy to our God.

Isaiah61 also said that he is draped in a robe of righteousness. I don’t know about you, but I have rarely felt “righteous enough”. I usually think it is my responsibility to earn my righteousness and therefore I have to be perfect. Any piece of imperfection on my part means that I am a failure. That alone is overwhelming at times. Trying to be good enough to deserve what God has done for me. There isn’t enough time in the day or deeds to do to be deserving on our own. We can, and often do, wear ourselves out trying. In Isaiah 51:11 we read, “And because of his experience, my righteous servant will make it possible for many to be counted righteous, for he will bear all their sins.” That is overwhelming! Because of Jesus bearing all of my sins I am counted righteous. Not because of me, because of him!

As life feels overwhelming, let's make sure we are allowing ourselves to be overwhelmed in the best way. Remember that you are clothed in salvation and made righteous through Jesus. Are you going through a season of being overwhelmed right now? If so, I would love to pray for you. Have you ever had a moment where you were overwhelmed in the best way? I would love for you to share and build others' faith!

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lovely

What is Truth?

Worthy